I had always wanted to do paragliding in Kamshet from a long time. Also, given the fact that Kamshet is just an approx 3 hours drive from Mumbai, city where I currently live in. So I finally decided to do paragliding on a weekend trip with my family and took my mother and siblings along. In fact, it’s a great place for family and friends and anybody who loves adventure and thrill.
In the very beginning, we knew that only my brother and sister including me would be paragliding but little did we knew that even our mother had that adrenaline thrill inside her that she decide to do paragliding with us. And voila, she did. It is one of the best trip ever for all four of us maybe because all of us were together or maybe the place is so beautiful that just easily sways you to test your adrenaline drift.
It is one of the most exhilarating experiences that you will experience while paragliding and Kamshet is one major spot in Maharashtra that gives you this chance. If you are planning to experience this adventure sports activity in Kamshet, then here is everything you need to know all about.
What is Paragliding?
Paragliding is a type of adventure sports activity in which the pilot flies in the sky like a free bird. One just need a glider, a flying suit and boots to get started.
Usually, people start with a Tandem joy ride, that is paragliding with a pilot who controls the glider and you simply enjoy the blissful landscapes. The Tandem flight duration normally ranges between 20 to 30 minutes. One can also go ahead and apply for training courses to become a certified paraglider after which they will be able to take solo flights.
About Kamshet, Maharashtra
Kamshet is mainly known for its joy of paragliding. Kamshet is a small, hill town at around 45 km from Pune and 110 km from Mumbai and around 17 km from Lonavala, it’s a well-known paragliding site in Maharashtra and one of the best paragliding places in India. The place is also famous for its renowned training institutes that offers paragliding courses for beginners, club pilots and even joy rides for tourists. These courses can be of a duration from 3 days to 1 month depending on the type of course one opts for.
Paragliding is one such extreme adventure sport activity that lets us experience the thrill of flying. Kamshet is one of the top destinations in India visited by adrenaline junkies to enjoy, learn and practice paragliding. Flying over majestic Sayadris, beautiful and green valleys, Pawna Lake, and Indrayani River will give you mesmerising experiences of a lifetime while paragliding in Kamshet.
How To Reach Kamshet?
By Air: The nearest airport from Kamshet lies in Mumbai and Pune cities, respectively. Pune being the nearest.
By Train: Local suburban trains regularly run between Pune and Kamshet. From Railways are also connected between Mumbai and Lonavala. One can get down at Lonavala and take a suburban train to Kamshet. You can also opt for local cabs or buses from Lonavala to reach Kamshet.
By Road: A well-connected expressways from Mumbai and Pune connects Kamshet. Kamshet is approx 110 km from Mumbai, 45 km from Pune and around 17 km from Lonavala. One can alternatively take private cabs or self-drive all the way to Kamshet. Both State and private buses are also well-accessible.
Things To Know About Paragliding In Kamshet
- There are many tour companies that offer Tandem Paragliding joy rides in Kamshet- Nirvana Adventures, Temple Pilots, Indus Paragliding etc. You can check these online for bookings and further enquiries.
- You would have to arrive at Kamshet base location (location that’ll be shared by your Tour Company or agency). Travel from base to the top (actual paragliding site) will be on a rental cab.
- Transportation from base to the top is not included in the package. You can share the cab fare with other fellow travellers there. The cost of cab to and fro is approx. Rs 700.
- The path that leads to the top of the paragliding site is rough and patchy. Make sure that you hire an experienced driver to reach to the venue. You can even consult your paragliding company for the same.
- You will have to trek or walk towards the take-off location once you get down from the cab. This walk will lead you through dry terrains and even forest lands.
How Much Does Paragliding In Kamshet Cost?
Tandem paragliding joy rides costs between Rs. 1500 to Rs 3000 depending on the company or agency you hire to fly with. While the paragliding pilot training courses cost starts from Rs 20,000.
Ideal Time For Paragliding In Kamshet
October to February are the winter months and March to May are the summer months, both seasons are an ideal time for paragliding in Kamshet except monsoon. However, winter time is the best time as there are clear skies and good air current during this period. Paragliding in Kamshet majorly depends on thermals and air current. If climatic conditions aren’t suitable or if it’s too cloudy, then you might not be able to glide until it clears up but the wait is definitely WORTH IT.
Tips For Paragliding
- Carry enough water and snacks with you s there are no sellers on the top of the paragliding site. Ensure that you carry at least 1 litre of water per person.
- Dress in comfortable clothing and cover yourself much to avoid sun, cold and dust at the same time. Wear something warm during early morning flights to keep yourself snug in the sky.
- Avoid eating heavy before the flight.
- Wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen as it’s very windy and sunny on the top.
- Make sure that at least one person stays on the ground for emergency as well as recording your take-off and landing moments. The person has to ensure safety of bags and other important stuffs lying on the ground while you’re paragliding.
- Don’t forget to carry your camera to capture this lifetime experience of yours.
- Always listen to your pilot’s instructions.
- Relax and enjoy your flight. One may be nervous before take-off but once you are there in the sky, you will become comfortable . It feels just so peaceful and mesmerising from the top so stay calm and just enjoy the view.
I had an amazing experience, intact we all had. Whenever we speak up about this trip, my mother, or even my sister just say, ‘The trip was one of a kind’. Honestly, I was worried for about 5 seconds before take-off but once I was in the air, I wasn’t worried at all. It was one of the beautiful experiences and I loved the feeling of a free bird like I’m flying as a free spirit up in the air. That feeling of no worries, and everything peaceful in the sky was awesome. I was just living the moment of FREEDOM and CALMNESS. Check out this video for more. Enjoy 🙂
Let’s Chat on my Social media?